Saturday, March 7, 2009

Sweetest calling in life besides mom? Aunt!



So I had the absolute privledge of having Lindsey and Ryan's kids over for a sleepover. I have never even gotten to babysit them before! Ellie's going to be 5! What kind of an aunt am I? Ever since Natalie and girls went away, and a quite a large part of my heart went with them, I just haven't been the aunt I was born to be. I always swore my siblings kids would love me and think I was the best aunt ever!
So, first off, it was so therapeutic to have little kids in my home. I have been struggling with the fact, for a long time, that I had all of my kids by the time I was 26, and the realization that having little children is really a small part of a big life. Although they are one of the best reasons to live, this time of my life was a super short period. I often find myself in tears.
Anyway, I loved having a little guy in the house with cartoon underwear, having to help him with his jammies, and a new experience, having a completely mature and darling little girl. Lindsey's kids are so loving, happy, and funny! They have been taught so well and have the best manners. Ben explained to me during dinner, that first of all, our stools were way to hard for his bottom, and that you have to say "excuse me" when you burp and "bless you" when someone sneezes. Even Bryant said "their parents taught them good! They have the best manners!".
I found that Ellie can be my gal pal and I look forward to indulging my barbie dreams with her. We were totally going to watch Enchanted when the boys "talked" (it didn't take much) Ben into watching Over the Hedge. We were out voted.
Anyway, we had so much fun and the Ben and Ellie readily give hugs and kisses and they reminded me so much of my own when they were little. Even the smell of their hair! Ellie had a nightmare and woke up screaming and I felt so lucky that she wanted to sleep with me for the rest of the night.
So after a night of making our own mini pizzas, watching a movie, and setting up a tent in the family room, we were ready for bed. We had such a great time!
I look forward to many more sleepovers with them and hope that I can find my "inner aunt" again with my neices and nephews!

3 comments:

Laurel, Brian, Addison & Liam said...

"no, fair. no fair, no fair!" Name that movie- I dare you! (ginger will probably get it)

Seriously, how fun is that?! I am sure Addie will be more brave to sleep over when she's a little and has a sibling to come along. Can't wait for both!

You are a good Aunt Angie. When I had to drop Adds off to be babysat she turned to me and in a small, quivering voice said, "I'm scared, where's Angie?" She did that again when I brought dinner over for the boys.

Natalie said...

Wahhh waaaahhhh wahhhh waaaahhhhh! I am missing out. Someone send their kid on a plane please!! Send your little dilinquent's (I know I spelled that wrong) here for a little reform school - Peton style. I know you were in heaven. I'm sure your boys were too. What a good place.

Lindsey said...

Oh, Angie! They had so much fun with you guys! However, Ellie was disappointed that you never played with her hair!
I need to remember to call you, or your boys, more often to babysit; they love you guys!
I miss being a fun aunt for your little kids! They always used to wrestle with me, I was able to get Bryant to sleep when he was a baby and I used to take Bryant to the library. I sure love your boys!
Oh, and La...Pet Cemetary.