Friday, February 19, 2010

If you can dump it, dump it!

A man? A friend? Rotten meat? No. What am I talking about Willis? I'm talking about baby poop in cloth diapers, peeps!



I work with the BEST people ever! We were chatting at work today and they told me I should write a book about my childhood. Really? Who wants to know about boring old Angie's childhood? I mean, I am so boring, I loves me the Olive Garden and I switch between 2 dishes there. I don't even mix it up!

2 childhood memories were relayed at different times to my co-workers today - don't even ask me how they came up:

1. I always wondered why our next door neighbors house was cold, or cool, in the summer while my house was always muggy and my sheets were damp. I always wanted to be at the Bezzants house in the summer because their house was magically cool. Little did I know that my wet sheets were not on account of some kid my mom was babysitting, but because I had a luxurious swamp cooler IN MY BEDROOM WINDOW! That's right - you heard me. West Valley is in the HIZ-OUS!I later learned that this cool phenomenon at the Bezzaants was central air. I vowed then and there I wouldn't have a swamp cooler in my bedroom window ever again and I would one day have central air. Check! One thing off my bucket list. It will probably be the only thing...


CAUTION, THE FOLLOWING CONTENT IS NOT APPROPRIATE FOR CHILDREN AND/OR ADULTS WITH CLASS, MANNERS, OR GOOD TASTE (that should really be the title to my blog):
2. Having to go to the bathroom soooo bad, lifting up the toilet and finding a dirty cloth diaper taking a little relaxing dip in the toilet. AAAAAARGH! There was no way I was reaching down into the ice cold poop water, fishing out the grody diaper, and then ringing it with my bare hands. I had to do it enough when my mom made me. There was no way I was going to do it on my own without my mom forcing me. Mom's rule was if you had to go potty and there was a dirty cloth diaper in the toilet, you had to clean it out. No "smeller's the feller" here! I think her rule should have been "I decided to have these D kids, so I should rinse out their dirty diapers" right? As I was telling the story to my friends, Julie kept saying over and over again "Ohhhh, if you can dump it (meaning the poop), dump it - don't rinse it!" She had lots of experience with cloth diapers too. Poor thing.

So what did I do when I found a "non-dumpable" diaper relaxing in the throne? I just went on top of the diaper. Nothing like a turd on top of a turd filled diaper! I did get caught and reamed a few times, but in my defense, I was not the only one who did this. Many times I found a gift from someone else.

However, in an effort to be obedient, I went across the street to the neighbor's house and used their toilet. I would rather walk to another family's toilet than clean out the diaper in ours. That statement still rings true today. Some things never change.

4 comments:

Natalie said...

Those memories come back to me in a flood of smells. Ugh. Tonight when I pray, I'm going to be grateful for huggies. And thankful I don't have an ammonia-smelling diaper bin in the bathroom, with a cloth diaper suprise in the toilet.

DJ and Gin Family said...

Heck, I just pinched the diaper between my thumb and pointer and set it on the edge of the tub. It would drip across the toilet seat and floor, but I NEVER wrung it out. I don't remember getting in trouble either, but that's probably because I was only 4 and 5, so Mom didn't expect me to clean it.... Lucky me.

Hendricksonblog said...

So did your mom just chuck it in the toilet until she had time to get back to it? Yeah we all have soft supple hands compared to our poor mothers who spent so much time with their hands in the sink or toilet. I always think cloth diapers are a good idea in theory, you know for the sakes of the earth and all that but I just think they are a a good idea for other people, not me.

White Family said...

Yup, mom chucked the diaper in the toilet until she had time to wash it - or make us wash it!! Booooo!