Friday, October 10, 2008

Boges turns the big 09!




So, Logan's birthday was September 11th - the day after Spencer's. I never thought it would be a big deal - in fact - when I was in labor with Logan, on Spencer's birthday, the nurse said "You don't want to have two kids with the same birthday!" I didn't say much, but thought "Whatever - at this point, I would really like to have them on the same day!" Well, it's pretty dang hard. I refuse to make them share days, cakes, or anything else. I've always made sure their birthdays are very separate. I have to admit, it feels a little like Groundhog Day when Logan's day comes around.
Logan wanted an air soft machine gun so very bad for his birthday. Boyd and I got him one, but it promptly got taken away that night. Now, Logan is no stranger to air soft - he's the youngest of 3 boys. He's been around it for a long time, and has owned his own pistol for a few years. He always wears his goggles and has always been quite responsible. However, responibility went out the window the day he got the treasured "machine gun".
Let me set the scene for you:
It's 9:00 in the evening on Logan's birthday. We've had dinner and cake and are wrapping up for the night.
Knock. Knock. Knock.
I throw on my robe and think "Who the heck is coming over unannounced at 9:00 at night?"
I open the door and it's the neighbor who lives behind us.
"Hi Sister White. Um, I think one of your boys was shooting at my boys when they were in the backyard playing tonight".
Mom: "GASP" "Oh no - my boys were out there....LOGAN!"
Logan is on the pot down the hall...
Logan; "What Mom?"
Mom: "Where you shooting at the neighbors behind us tonight?"
Logan: "Yeah, but I'm pretty sure I didn't hit them!"
Neighbor: "At least he's honest!'"

Yes, the gun is gone, hidden in the hollows of my closet. When will it return? Maybe when he's 21. I think I'll make him take Hunter Safety before I give it back. Then at last he migh be able to hit his target!

Luckily, Logan wanted double chocolate cookies and mint chocolate chip ice cream for his birthday dessert. I always try to get one of them to pick something other than cake - even if it's cup cakes. Logan usually does. But that would be typically Logan - he is so extremely easy going, everyone loves Logan.

How would I sum up Logan in 1 word? I think it would be either "sweet" or "love". He truly slept through the night at 3 days old and always slept through from them on. H hardly ever cried as a baby, and when he did, I would always explain how he cried like this: his cry sounded like he was trying to say "Um, I'm getting a little hungry. Just to let you know. No pressure, but when you get a chance, please remember that I'm here and pretty hungry". His cry wasn't demanding - you know how some babies have such demanding, loud cries? Not Logan.

He is so tender and kind to everyone (with the exception of the neighbors). He gets you right in the heart - I have people tell me all the time "I don't know what it is, but there's just something about Logan that get's me". Yesterday, Reese told me he has a really hard time getting mad at Logan, but can get mad all day long at the other two. It's true - he hardly ever gets in trouble, and when he does, he's not used to it, he just sobs. I would say Logan is a champion for justice and fairness for all. He really gets concerned when he sees others breaking rules, or kids treating others unfairly.

He's a lot like Bryant, in that, he usually likes whatever Bryant likes. He loves choclate, chili, doughnuts, chicken, riding his bike, "getting my hair", snuggling, giving kisses, football, and playing with his brothers, no matter what the play is.

His easy going temperment can also be a curse, as I thought something was wrong with him before he went into Kindergarten. I couldn't get him to memorize his alphabet. The other boys had it all down at 2, and I swear I didn't even have to teach them! Turns out, he's just fine, he just didn't really care to learn the alphabet. You know how kids go through a stage where they insist they do everything on their own? Not Logan! He's just fine to have others do things for him - I'm sure he'd love it if I still spoon fed him. He didn't walk until he was 15 months, and again, I'm pretty sure he realized he had a pretty sweet deal having his mom tote him around everywhere and didn't really care to go anywhere that I didn't go!

So, here's to Logan, the angel sent to our family! I truly believe that with all of my heart.






2 comments:

DJ and Gin Family said...

I have such a soft spot in my heart for Logan. I still can't believe how close he and Tay have always been, even though they don't even see each other that often. I still remember him sleeping in the play tent with Tay, and how he kept "sneaking" her hair. We love you Bogey Bear!

Natalie said...

I love Logan! Happy Birthday! That's a really funny story about the air-soft gun. And I liked your take on him and his alphabet. I miss you guys so much!