Saturday, September 22, 2007

Brothers and Sisters, please share in a moment of silence for the Lumina...

We are gathered here today to say goodbye to the Lumina, the 1995 Chevy Lumina to be exact. Lumie (as I like to call her, gave up the ghost last week and returned to her maker. We all know she is no longer in pain and is with those who have gone on before her, such as Festie the Festiva, Citti the Citation and Yoda the Toyota Truck. She will truly be missed and has served us well. How blessed we are to have the gospel in our lives and for the knowledge that we will all be together again one day.

There, there, don't cry. You know she wouldn't want to see you that way. Lift your head up, dry your eyes and know that she will always be with you.

http://www.geocities.com/sjbagwell81/rainbow.html

I'll build you a rainbow, way up high above.

Send down a sunbeam, plumb full of love.

Sprinkle down raindrops, teardrops of joy.

I'll be happy as spring-time, watchin' over my boy.

(Narration) Once there was a boy named Boyd. He had some great friends, but his greatest was his car. Not in some sissy way like that. She was just different than the other cars. While they were busy going to their fashion shows and bridge parties, she was home with him. They'd play in the backyard together, go on car rides, have long talks, She was the best football player on the whole block. At least that's what the other guys said. They really thought she was special. You know, they wished their cars were more like that.
Then one day Boyd was called home from school. There was a big white ambulance in the driveway. When Boyd walked into the front door, his wife was talking to the mechanic, and Boyd was scared. They said he could only talk to his car for a minute, and when he tiptoed into the bedroom and saw his car lying on the bed, she smiled and whispered, "Hi, Big B." that's what she always called him, even though he wasn't very big. She said he had a big heart.
She said, "Boyd, I'm going away and I won't be coming back. I'm dying." Big tears came to Boyd's eyes and he said, "Lumie, you just can't die," And she said, "It's OK Babe, there's no regrets. I've been with you more in twelve years than most cars are with their boys in a whole life time." He said, "I know Lumie, but you just can't die, you just can't" And she said, "Boyd, there's a secret. It's a special secret, and I never want you to forget it...Families are forever, and even though you won't see me, I'll still be there watching over you and waiting for you." And he said, "But Lumie, if I can't see you, well then, how will I know you're there?" She thought a minute, and then she smiled and answered..."


I'll build you a rainbow

Way up high above

Send down a sunbeam, plumb full of love

Sprinkle down raindrops, teardrops of joy

I'll be happy in heaven

Watching over my boy.

She kissed him, closed her eyes, and she was gone. As Boyd and his wife stood in the driveway watching the ambulance drive away, his wife broke down and started to cry. They hugged each other real tight and Boyd felt his wife's teardrops on his own cheeks and cried too. Then he remembered the secret and he looked up and sure enough, there it was, right over their house, a big rainbow, just like she said. And he said, "Angie, Angie, it's alright...Families are forever."

I'll build you a rainbow

Way up high above

Send down a sunbeam, plumb full of love

Sprinkle down raindrops, teardrops of joy

I'll be happy in heaven, watchin' over my boy.

On a slightly happier note, Thank you DJ and Carmax! PARTAAAAYYYY!

3 comments:

Laurel, Brian, Addison & Liam said...

Oh boy Angie, where in the H did you find that gem of a song/story! I think I will share it next time I speak in sacrament meeting, along with the melodic back ground music. Maybe I can get someone to even play it on the organ for me!!

Natalie said...

Oh Angie - that was awesome! Oh what memories! Now I'm thinking, "it's my turn! It's my turn! It's my turn on earth!"

Natalie said...

p.s. sweeeeeet ride!!!!!!!!!!